NewsNation, National Correspondent, Atlanta, GA
March 2021 – April 2022
- Hired to launch the Atlanta Bureau for WGN America’s rebranded network NewsNation, leading a team of photojournalists, editors, and producers focused on telling national stories, specifically in the Southeast region.
- Pitched relevant, newsworthy stories in the daily newsroom editorial meeting to present live on air for the network’s show line up.
- Researched information, interviewed sources, and wrote scripts under tight deadlines - taking often complicated subject matter and making it easily digestible for our audience.
- Frequently tapped to cover business and tech including Amazon union votes, supply chain issues, AWS shutdowns, security upgrades for Apple and Android, peer-to-peer web based services, ride-share driver and passenger security upgrades, Turo’s rise
- Go-to reporter for all things travel - frequently reporting from America’s busiest airport Hartfield Jackson Atlanta Int’l on everything from COVID19’s impact on the industry, hiring trends, CDC travel advisories, staffing shortages, travel disruptions, violence in the friendly skies, and the airlines’ bottom line.
- Spearheaded coverage of COVID-19 developments from the CDC.
- Often on the court beat– covering the Ahmaud Arbery state and federal case, the Derek Chauvin trial, Breonna Taylor’s case, and the Robert Durst trial.
KHOU-TV, Morning Reporter, Houston, TX
January 2018– February 2021
- Lead reporter for big breaking news stories during the overnight/morning hours, performing multiple live shots daily; with my stories frequently featured on CBS News.
- Go-to for all big airline and airport stories – reported extensively on layoffs and early retirement offers at the beginning of the pandemic. Before that covered IAH and HOU extensively and even gave our viewers a behind the scenes look at United Airlines’ disaster operations strategies as apart of my business franchise “Inside Access.”
- Other notable franchise features include NASA’s Johnson Space Center, Budweiser, Carvana and Texas-based HEB – who use the story for onboarding new corporate hires.
- The first reporter on air after the Santa Fe HS shooting, KHOU later earned the prestigious Edward R. Murrow award for coverage of the tragedy. The next year I led coverage of the Watson Grinding explosion, contributing to another Murrow for KHOU.
- Covered George Floyd’s death and the protests that followed - making connections that ultimately led to me being one of the only local reporters invited to his private funeral.
- Led morning show continued coverage of the 2018 Austin serial bomber, the funerals for both President George HW Bush and First Lady Barbara Bush, the Jazmyn Barnes case, the ITC fire, Vanessa Guillen’s death, and the Maleah Davis case.
- Created the blueprint for the "HTown60" segment - a heavily produced 60 second interactive piece that can thrive both on air and on digital platforms. The segments are now implemented across the TEGNA brand.
WLOX News, Anchor/Reporter, Biloxi, MS
October 2015 – December 2017
- Bureau Chief MMJ responsible for gathering and developing news stories out of Jackson County, roughly 30% of our viewing area.
- Solo anchor and AP the weekend morning shows.
- Exposed misappropriation of funds in a local municipality's public works department that eventually led to an indictment of 2 city employees.
- Anchored wall-to-wall severe weather coverage during Hurricane Nate, and multiple tornado outbreaks on the Gulf Coast - with one broadcast winning an AP Award.
Medill News Service, Reporter, Washington DC
March 2015 – June 2015
- Covered urban affairs as a credentialed reporter in the White House and on Capitol Hill.
- Bylines for a national audience for clients including USAToday, WKBN-TV, Military Times, Frederick News Post and McClatchy News Bureau.
Medill Reports, Reporter, Chicago, IL
September 2014 – March 2015
- Concentrated on industry trends on the airline and aviation beat, namely corporate and business news for Chicago-based United Airlines and Boeing, also analyzing corporate financial statements, the economy, interest rates, stock, bond and commodity markets, the federal reserve, and economic reports.
Social Justice News Nexus, Graduate Fellow, Chicago. IL
October 2014 – March 2015
- One of six graduate students selected to investigate and report on the link between mental health issues and violence in Chicago.
- Produced a short documentary on one woman’s experience with the closure of her mental health clinic.
Newswatch 16 ICTV, Anchor/Reporter, Ithaca, NY
September 2013 – May 2014
Fox News KDFW, Intern, Dallas Fort Worth, TX
May 2013- August 2013
The Virginian-Pilot, Intern, Norfolk, VA
Northwestern University, Medill School of Journalism, Evanston, IL M.S. Journalism, Broadcast, Business
Edward & Lee Lindhal Scholarship
Cornell University, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Ithaca, NY B.S. Communication, Media and Tech Communication Focus, Sociology Concentration, Law & Society Minor
Dean’s List; W. Keith Kennedy Scholarship; CU Alumni Annual Scholarship; Academic Competitive Grant; Cornell Alumni Federation Scholarship; Judith Pick Eissner Scholarship; William F. Fuerst Scholarship; Joyce & Robert Levy Scholarship
News Productions Software (Avid iNews, AP ENPS)
Non-linear Editing (Adobe Premier, Edius, Final Cut Pro, Avid)
Social Media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, TikTok)
Software (HTML, CSS)